October 9, 2020 - 12:00 am
Call for participation in a special virtual workshop on COVID-19 and the built environment.
This document serves as a call to participate in a special virtual workshop on COVID-19 and the built environment under SHBE. COVID-19 has been one of the biggest challenges that humankind has faced and is currently facing. It has impacted almost everyone and led to a new era of adaptation. In this workshop, we would like to discuss potential areas where the built environment has been affected due to COVID-19 as well as new ideas which will become a new standardization for the future in the built environment.
List of Potential Topics includes but not limited to:
- Developing guidelines for campus living and working.
- Designing college buildings with the implementation of social distancing.
- Utilizing Augmented Reality (AR) in learning and supervision.
- Analyzing the consequences of new adaptive strategies from small homes to big cities.
- Applying Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) on Building operations.
- Mitigating cyber-attack and cyber security threats.
- Modeling and simulating adaptive human behavior
- Managing social distancing in small businesses (e.g., barbershops and restaurants).
- Balancing two extreme stages: – of complete opening and complete shutdown.
- Developing innovative design ideas to use existing technologies to solve the problems.
Format of Workshop
The goal of this workshop is to share new ideas, brainstorm, and facilitate research collaboration regarding the topic of COVID-19 and the built environment. The workshop will be featured idea presentations, focus group sessions with interactive brainstorming, and collaborative research idea sharing. A group of selected participants will have a venue to present their research ideas to receive feedback from the audiences. In addition, the interested participants can join the designed focused groups to further discuss their ideas, use a brainstorm approach to generate new ideas, and connect with their peers.
Submission of Abstract
All the participants are invited to submit a brief abstract of their ideas on related topics, as described above. The abstract should be limited to 200 words. To submit your abstract, please attach it to an e-mail and send it to the workshop chair, Dr. Amirhosein Jafari (ajafari1@Isu.edu) and copy Pratik Sancheti (email@example.com) and firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “SHBE Covid-19 Workshop” as the subject.
- Announcement date: 8/10/2020
- Registration period: 08/10/2020 – 09/18/2020
- Abstract submission deadline: 09/07/2020
- Draft program date: 09/18/2020
- Final program date: 10/01/2020
- Workshop date: 10/09/2020
- Chair: Dr. Amirhosein Jafari, Louisiana State University
- Co-Chair: Dr. Yongxin Tao, Cleveland State University
- Co-Chair: Dr. Richard C. Feiock, Florida State University
- Committee member: Dr. Shekhar Bhansali, Florida International University
- Committee member: Dr. Wei Zhang, Cleveland State University
- Pratik Sancheti, Cleveland State University
Please use the following link to register for the workshop (registration is free for all).